Saturday 14 March 2015

Food for kids


I was reading this blog post from "I Quit Sugar" and I absolutely 100% agree with how this father packs his son's school lunches.

My favorite quote from the post:
"Don’t tailor lunchboxes to a “kids palate.” I pack Tashi’s lunchbox as If I’m packing my own lunchbox. In my experience kids will always go for the sweet or sugary option, so if you include those foods then you will begin to change their palate and preferences. It’s a hard road back from there."


It's normal for preschoolers and young children to have inconsistent likes & dislikes of foods. In addition, they may not be prepared to try new foods until they have seen it 20-30 times. Present new foods with foods they like and don't give up!

I get a great sense of what kids get for school snacks because I teach at a German School every Saturday morning. I see a small portion of children that consistently have non-processed, whole foods for snacks. The great majority of students bring candies, chocolates, fruit-gummies, granola bars etc. for snack. These are loaded in sugars and nutrient poor... Diets high in processed foods and low in nutritious wholesome foods in children can negatively impact them in the future (related to chronic diseases).

Today, for St. Patrick's day at German School I served my students a fresh fruit salad (topped with some whipping cream). It fit into the theme because it was rainbow-colored and I was happy to be giving them a healthy snack instead of cupcakes, cookies or candies. :)


Source:
I Quit Sugar Blog Post: See more at: https://iquitsugar.com/scott-gooding-healthy-eating-for-kids/utm_source=iqs%20edm%2013%2F03%2F15&utm_medium=email&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=scott%20gooding%20healthy%20kids&inf_contact_key=56aab3b62d127c48b8a6d63d300692bd7c5804c4a12beb4b6c1123156626376f#sthash.v7EnGYQR.dpuf

Image from: http://pixabay.com/

No comments: